WASHINGTON, Nov. 16 (TNSPol) -- The American Public Gas Association issued the following agency statement on Nov. 15, 2021:
* * *
The American Public Gas Association (APGA), representing more than 700 municipally owned natural gas systems in 38 states, issued the following statement in response to the signing of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act:
"The bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act contains many provisions that will support the important work of municipally owned natural gas systems who are committed to reducing emissions and delivering safe, affordable, and reliable energy to the communities they serve across the nation.
"Specifically, the legislation will:
* Invest $1 billion in municipal and community-owned gas systems' pipeline safety efforts by funding the replacement, repair, or rehabilitation of existing networks.
* Fund hydrogen research and development efforts that will support the delivery of clean fuel via existing gas distribution infrastructure.
* Invest in fueling infrastructure for alternative fuel vehicles, including those that run on natural gas and hydrogen.
* Provide additional funding for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), which many customers of APGA members rely on to pay their bills.
* Direct the Department of Energy to support cybersecurity efforts in the energy sector to help protect the nation's natural gas distribution infrastructure.
* Support energy efficiency programs that take a fuel-neutral approach and make use of high-efficiency natural gas technology.
"APGA and its members believe natural gas has a critical role to play in our nation's clean energy future, and we look forward to working with our government partners as this important legislation goes into effect."