Friday, May 27 2022 Sign In   |    Register
 

News Quick Search


 

News


Front Page
Power News
Today's News
Yesterday's News
Week of May 23
Week of May 16
Week of May 09
Week of May 02
Week of Apr 25
By Topic
By News Partner
Gas News
News Customization
Feedback

 

Pro Plus(+)


Add on products to your professional subscription.
  • Energy Archive News
  •  



    Home > News > Power News > News Article

    Share by Email E-mail Printer Friendly Print

    Iberdrola users in Nuevo Leon will have to seek interconnection with the CFE due to contract expiration.


    January 24, 2022 - CE Noticias Financieras

     

      Monterrey, NL. At the end of this month, the legacy interconnection contract that the Energy Regulatory Commission (CRE) granted to Iberdrola's Dulces Nombres plant, for 500 MW, expires. However, it has not yet obtained the CRE's permission to migrate to the Wholesale Electricity Market, therefore, users (among them 400 companies) would have to seek interconnection with the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE).

      This was the opinion of Amado Villarreal, general director of the Nuevo Leon Energy Cluster, during a conference for the Mexican Institute of Finance Executives (IMEF) Monterrey.

      "We understand that Iberdrola's permit ends, we know that the simplest thing for the government was to withdraw them, or that they could migrate to the Wholesale Electricity Market and facilitate that process; if they do not do so, the user has no choice but to go with CFE," he pointed out.

      "Iberdrola is a global company, this business represents less than 5% of its generation, I believe that as a country we need the investment of this type of companies", the executive emphasized.

      He explained that the delivery capacity of the electric system is limited to 50,643 Megawatts (MW), and in extreme conditions CFE plants could be rehabilitated, however these are obsolete due to their age and the fact that they use fossil fuels.

      In total there are permits in force for 129,362 MW, of which 96,872 MW are in operation, but the delivered capacity is 50,643 MW, due to the fact that only 63% is delivered and the other 37% is impossible to deliver, according to the data of the Energy Cluster of Nuevo Leon.

      He pointed out that what reduces the risk of units 3 and 4 of Iberdrola's Dulces Nombres plant failing to deliver 500 MW, is that Nuevo Leon is part of CFE's Northern Gulf division, which is the area with the highest energy production.

      "The maximum critical peak demand is 50,000 MW, we are talking about 500 MW, it is something marginal, CFE can supply it, the northern gulf division has the largest capacity, and from here we send energy to other regions of the country, we could send much more if we had better transmission lines by CFE", Villarreal said.

      The maximum demand in the national interconnected system in Megawatts, has been reduced -5.21% from 2018 to 2020, when comparing the maximum instantaneous demand of the national interconnected system, in 2018 it was 46,813 MW, and in 2020 it fell to 44,551 MW, according to data from the National Energy Control Center (Cenace).

      He delved that in Nuevo León there are wind and solar plants that if the government would allow them to supply what is left of the auctions, of the availability of energy that is in the Wholesale Electricity Market, could supply these 500 MW, "the problem is that when we talk about the Electricity Reform, we are talking about a much higher figure in MW and there if it is in the whole country, it is a serious problem".

    TOP

    Other Articles - International


    TOP

       Home  -  Feedback  -  Contact Us  -  Safe Sender  -  About Energy Central   
    Copyright © 1996-2022 by CyberTech, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Energy Central® and Energy Central Professional® are registered trademarks of CyberTech, Incorporated. Data and information is provided for informational purposes only, and is not intended for trading purposes. CyberTech does not warrant that the information or services of Energy Central will meet any specific requirements; nor will it be error free or uninterrupted; nor shall CyberTech be liable for any indirect, incidental or consequential damages (including lost data, information or profits) sustained or incurred in connection with the use of, operation of, or inability to use Energy Central. Other terms of use may apply. Membership information is confidential and subject to our privacy agreement.