Kiev — After renewed artillery fire at the southern Ukrainian nuclear power plant Zaporizhzhya, there has been a power outage in the nearby town of Enerhodar.
Both the Russian-appointed occupation authorities and the mayor, Dmytro Orlov, who fled the city, confirmed the incident on the Telegram messaging service on Tuesday.
According to the occupation representative Vladimir Rogov, there are said to have been seven impacts in the area of the power plant training centre. Nevertheless, one reactor is to continue supplying 150 megawatts for the cooling systems' own needs, he said.
On Monday, the Ukrainian power plant operator Enerhoatom had first announced that there had been an emergency shutdown at the sixth and last unit still in operation.
Later, however, Kiev informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that the power plant's electricity needs would continue to be met by an operating reactor after a forced disconnection from the Ukrainian grid.
Russia's Defence Ministry on Tuesday accused Ukraine of shelling Zaporizhzhya with artillery 15 times in the past 24 hours. In return, Kiev repeatedly blames Russian troops, who have occupied the nuclear plant since early March, for attacks on the site. The claims of both sides cannot usually be independently verified.
©2022 dpa GmbH. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.