Redexis, an integral energy infrastructure company, has been awarded the construction and supply project for a 2.5 megawatt (MW) green hydrogen production plant to be located in the Parque Empresarial del Medio Ambiente (PEMA) in Garray (Soria), which will be completed before December 31, 2023, according to the company.
Along with the project, the 2.5 megawatt (MW) green hydrogen production plant is expected to be powered directly from the electricity generated by a 5.2 MW photovoltaic park, and can be equipped with a 150 cubic meter (m3) storage system. The production of green hydrogen, which can reach up to 300 tons per year, can be applied to industrial and mobility uses, as well as being evacuated through a hydro-product.
First green hydrogen plant in Castilla Leon
The project, in which it will invest about 10 million euros, will be the first green hydrogen production plant of Redexis and the first to be built in Castilla y Leon, a community that thus advances in decarbonization and can avoid the emission into the atmosphere of up to 2,000 tons of CO2 per year.
Among other uses, the project will be able to serve the Environmental Business Park of Garray, which occupies almost 3,000 square meters and will house the water storage tanks and auxiliary facilities for control and monitoring, air conditioning, lighting, security, etc.
The operation of the plant will be driven by public-private collaboration. Redexis will set up a joint venture in which it will hold 80% of the capital, with the remaining 20% owned by Somacyl, a public company of the regional government specialized in renewable energy and energy efficiency projects in Castilla y León.
A step forward in the Energía26 strategic plan towards renewable projects
Last September the company presented its strategic plan, "Energía26", which will involve an investment of more than 1,000 million euros over 5 years (22-26) and which will be focused on intensifying its growth in the deployment of sustainable infrastructures and energy transition.
"Energía26" aims to be Redexis' commitment to a 50% reduction of its direct Carbon Footprint in 2026, as well as the compensation of its total emissions through the development of more than 90 renewable projects, avoiding the emission of 400,000 tons of CO2 in 2026.
Fidel López Soria, CEO of Redexis: "we are focused on projects that will entail an active role in the production of renewable gases, in this case green hydrogen, where the company is committed to the objective of being part of more than 10 relevant projects in 2026 as we have recently announced in our strategic plan Energy26".
Redexis is currently building a hydroproduct on the island of Mallorca, which will be the first in Spain to inject renewable hydrogen into the current gas networks. This is the "Green Hysland" project in Mallorca, which is already producing renewable hydrogen from solar energy at the Lloseta plant, and which includes a green hydrogen ecosystem on the island.
Renewable hydrogen," says the company, "is the key to achieving the decarbonization objectives in line with the route set by the European Commission and its compliance in emissions reduction by 2030 and emission neutrality by 2050. To achieve this, gas distribution networks are a key asset and are beginning to play an essential role in the decarbonization process. Redexis distribution networks allow the injection of green hydrogen.
Green hydrogen is a clean energy, which is produced from water and renewable energies and consists of the decomposition of water molecules (H2O), in oxygen (O2) and hydrogen (H2). It is therefore 100% renewable, storable, compressible, transportable and can be used for commercial, industrial or mobility purposes.
Redexis is an integrated energy infrastructure company dedicated to the development and operation of natural gas transportation and distribution networks, the distribution and commercialization of liquefied petroleum gas and the promotion of gas vehicles, renewable applications of natural gas and hydrogen. It operates 12,000 kilometers of its own energy infrastructures throughout eleven autonomous communities. In addition, Redexis claims to be promoting gas vehicles through investments in new infrastructures for mobility.
The company has been distributing energy in Spain for more than 160 years, previously under the name "Compañía del Gas de Zaragoza S.A.". It is in 2013 that the company changed its name to Redexis S.A.