Thursday, January 26 2023 Sign In   |    Register
 

News Quick Search


 

News


Front Page
Power News
Today's News
Yesterday's News
Week of Jan 23
Week of Jan 16
Week of Jan 09
Week of Jan 02
Week of Dec 26
By Topic
By News Partner
Gas News
News Customization
Feedback

 

Pro Plus(+)


Add on products to your professional subscription.
  • Energy Archive News
  •  



    Home > News > Power News > News Article

    Share by Email E-mail Printer Friendly Print

    FREYR, Nidec to kick off 8-GWh battery rollout under new JV


    December 6, 2022 - SeeNews Renewables

     

      December 6 (Renewables Now) - Norway’s FREYR Battery (NYSE:FREY) and Japan-based Nidec Corp (TYO:6594) today officially signed a joint venture (JV) to develop, manufacture and sell battery modules and battery energy storage solutions and products for industrial and utility customers globally.

      The downstream entity, dubbed Nidec Energy AS, is anticipated to produce more than 8 GWh of battery modules and packs per year from 2027 and potentially expand its capabilities to reach an annual output of 12 GWh by 2030. Mass production is expected to be launched in 2025.

      The module production is expected to be integrated into FREYR’s 29-GWh Giga Arctic facility in Mo i Rana, Norway, where ramp-up of cell production is scheduled for the first half of 2024.

      As agreed in August, the JV will be based in Oslo. Electric motors maker Nidec, which also has an energy storage business, will be a majority shareholder with a stake of 66.7%, while FREYR will own the remaining 33.3%. The deal catalyses a firm sales contract between the partners that calls for FREYR to supply 38 GWh of battery cells to Nidec in 2025-2030.

      The joint business was set up following tests of sample FREYR cells in an independent third-party laboratory on behalf of Nidec. The duo’s investment plan for the business is to pour over USD 127 million (EUR 121.1m) by 2030.

      (USD 1.0 = EUR 0.953)

    TOP

    Other Articles - International


    TOP

       Home  -  Feedback  -  Contact Us  -  Safe Sender  -  About Energy Central   
    Copyright © 1996-2023 by CyberTech, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Energy Central® and Energy Central Professional® are registered trademarks of CyberTech, Incorporated. Data and information is provided for informational purposes only, and is not intended for trading purposes. CyberTech does not warrant that the information or services of Energy Central will meet any specific requirements; nor will it be error free or uninterrupted; nor shall CyberTech be liable for any indirect, incidental or consequential damages (including lost data, information or profits) sustained or incurred in connection with the use of, operation of, or inability to use Energy Central. Other terms of use may apply. Membership information is confidential and subject to our privacy agreement.