Sunday, September 24 2023 Sign In   |    Register

News Quick Search



Front Page
Power News
Today's News
Yesterday's News
Week of Sep 18
Week of Sep 11
Week of Sep 04
Week of Aug 28
Week of Aug 21
By Topic
By News Partner
Gas News
News Customization


Pro Plus(+)

Add on products to your professional subscription.
  • Energy Archive News

    Home > News > Power News > News Article

    Share by Email E-mail Printer Friendly Print

    SPP Expects No Shortage Of Power In Summer

    June 5, 2023 - Kyle Massey



      Southwest Power Pool, the Little Rock power grid operator for a 15-state region of middle America, is predicting it will have enough power generation capacity to meet summer peak demand this year.

      The staff of the not-forprofit regional transmission organization discussed this summer's needs at its 2023 Summer Seasonal Assessment on May 18.

      The grid operator and market overseer holds the assessment each year to anticipate and mitigate threats during the hot days of June to September. The analysis weighs past power use, predicts summer demand and factors in weather forecasts, wind power availability and possible generation and transmission breakdowns.

      SPP anticipates normal conditions through the RTO's footprint and computes a 99.5% probability that it will be able to meet peak demand. It found a 95% likelihood that it will meet peak loads even if electricity use surpasses forecasts by 5%.

      "If extreme weather, unexpected outages or other circumstances affect the region, SPP has systems, tools and procedures ready to mitigate risks and maintain electric reliability," the organization said in a news release.

      - Kyle Massey


    Other Articles - Utility Business / General


       Home  -  Feedback  -  Contact Us  -  Safe Sender  -  About Energy Central   
    Copyright © 1996-2023 by CyberTech, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Energy Central® and Energy Central Professional® are registered trademarks of CyberTech, Incorporated. Data and information is provided for informational purposes only, and is not intended for trading purposes. CyberTech does not warrant that the information or services of Energy Central will meet any specific requirements; nor will it be error free or uninterrupted; nor shall CyberTech be liable for any indirect, incidental or consequential damages (including lost data, information or profits) sustained or incurred in connection with the use of, operation of, or inability to use Energy Central. Other terms of use may apply. Membership information is confidential and subject to our privacy agreement.