News Center > Entergy Mississippi provides summer energy efficiency tips
For Immediate Release
Entergy Mississippi provides summer energy efficiency tips
JACKSON, Miss. - Signs of summer are already here. Don't sweat it by taking time to prepare your home for higher temperatures, which ultimately can help you save money on your utility bills.
During the warmer months, cooling costs make up more than 55% of an average customer's electric bill. This means that taking steps to save energy can help lower your electric bills when temperatures are hot. You can manage your energy usage and save money by installing energy efficient upgrades through the Entergy Solutions Marketplace for Entergy Mississippi customers. Examples of products and services available at little to no cost include LED bulbs, smart thermostats, AC tune-ups, duct sealing and insulation.
Additionally, both programs offer home assessments that yield energy efficiency recommendations. A Home Performance with ENERGY STAR assessment reduces the up-front cost of installing energy efficiency upgrades.
Customers also can save money with these quick and easy energy efficiency tips:
- Change air filters. Air filters on some air conditioning units require monthly cleaning or replacing.
- Setting the thermostat to 78 degrees or the highest comfortable temperature. Every degree lower than 78 can raise a bill as much as 3%.
- Buy a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat can help manage costs, is controllable, and can help monitor usage.
- Use fans to cool off. Ceiling fans, box fans and oscillating fans use very little electricity to circulate the air. Make sure ceiling fans are rotating in the right direction - counter-clockwise during summer - to push cooler air down into the room. Be sure to tuall fans off in unused rooms.
- Close blinds, shades and curtains to keep the sun out and the cool air in. Also, close air conditioning vents in rooms that are not in use.
- Seal cracks and holes around doors, windows and ductwork. Weather stripping and caulk will help keep the cold air in and the hot air out.
- Use the myAdvisor tool onmyentergy.com. The usage and cost tool can compare usage history by month, day and hour.
For customers struggling to pay their bill, Entergy offers a number of payment options, such as level billing, auto-pay and more, as well as tools and programs designed to help customers manage energy usage. For more information, visit myentergy.com/s/programs or call 1-800-ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749) to speak with a customer service representative.
There also are third party agencies that provide utility bill assistance for seniors, disabled individuals and programs that are income-based. Through Entergy's The Power to Care program, local nonprofit agencies provide emergency bill payment assistance to seniors and disabled individuals. You also may be eligible to receive federal payment assistance through the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program or LIHEAP.
For any additional questions or information regarding customer bills, please visit entergy.com/answers.
About Entergy Mississippi
Entergy Mississippi, LLC provides electricity to approximately 461,000 customers in 45 counties. Entergy Mississippi is a subsidiary of Entergy Corporation, a Fortune 500 electric company. Entergy powers life for 3 million customers through our operating companies in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. We're investing in the reliability and resilience of the energy system while helping our region transition to cleaner, more efficient energy solutions. With roots in our communities for more than 100 years, Entergy is a nationally recognized leader in sustainability and corporate citizenship. Since 2018, we have delivered more than $100 million in economic benefits each year to local communities through philanthropy, volunteerism and advocacy. Entergy is headquartered in New Orleans, Louisiana, and has approximately 12,000 employees. For the latest news from Entergy, visit the Newsroom.