Friday, December 8 2023 Sign In   |    Register

News Quick Search



Front Page
Power News
Today's News
Yesterday's News
Week of Dec 04
Week of Nov 27
Week of Nov 20
Week of Nov 13
Week of Nov 06
By Topic
By News Partner
Gas News
News Customization


Pro Plus(+)

Add on products to your professional subscription.
  • Energy Archive News

    Home > News > Power News > News Article

    Share by Email E-mail Printer Friendly Print

    Paraguay announced that it is withdrawing all the energy it is entitled to from Yacyretá

    September 19, 2023 - CE Noticias Financieras


      The Vice-President of Paraguay, Pedro Alliana, announced that his Government decided to withdraw "100% of the energy power" that corresponds to it from the binational hydroelectric power plant of Yacyretá", which implies a cut in the portion that was usually transferred to Argentina.

      "As of 10 o'clock (11 o'clock Argentine time) Paraguay will withdraw 100% of the energy power from Yacyretá", indicated Alliana, temporarily in office as President of the neighboring country. The vice-president said that the decision is "a defense of sovereignty and respect as a country, because Argentina is in debt with us", which the Paraguayan government estimates amounts to US$150 million.

      The measure is announced after the disagreements of Paraguay, Brazil, Bolivia and Paraguay with Argentina over the collection of tolls on the Paraná-Paraguay waterway.

      The head of the National Electricity Administration (ANDE), Félix Sosa, informed Paraguayan media that the energy being withdrawn will be used for local consumption, in a context of increased demand due to high temperatures.

      "We are not analyzing the financial issue, we must remember that this is a strategic and political decision of the national government to withdraw 100% of the energy that corresponds to it", said Sosa in a press conference, in which he assured that Paraguay has "the technical conditions" to do so.

      Paraguay usually retains 15% of the energy from the binational Yacyretá power plant, leaving the remaining 85% for Argentina.


    Other Articles - International


       Home  -  Feedback  -  Contact Us  -  Safe Sender  -  About Energy Central   
    Copyright © 1996-2023 by CyberTech, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Energy Central® and Energy Central Professional® are registered trademarks of CyberTech, Incorporated. Data and information is provided for informational purposes only, and is not intended for trading purposes. CyberTech does not warrant that the information or services of Energy Central will meet any specific requirements; nor will it be error free or uninterrupted; nor shall CyberTech be liable for any indirect, incidental or consequential damages (including lost data, information or profits) sustained or incurred in connection with the use of, operation of, or inability to use Energy Central. Other terms of use may apply. Membership information is confidential and subject to our privacy agreement.