Wednesday, December 6 2023 Sign In   |    Register

News Quick Search



Front Page
Power News
Today's News
Yesterday's News
Week of Dec 04
Week of Nov 27
Week of Nov 20
Week of Nov 13
Week of Nov 06
By Topic
By News Partner
Gas News
News Customization


Pro Plus(+)

Add on products to your professional subscription.
  • Energy Archive News

    Home > News > Power News > News Article

    Share by Email E-mail Printer Friendly Print

    EDP announces sale of 80% of Pecém coal-fired power plant in Brazil

    September 20, 2023 - CE Noticias Financieras


      EDP - Energias de Portugal will sell 80% of the Pecém coal-fired power plant, located in the Brazilian state of Ceará, with a market value of 1.9 billion reais (around 366 million euros), in what is an "important milestone in achieving the group's strategic goal of being coal free by the end of 2025?.

      "EDP - Energias de Portugal, through its wholly owned subsidiary EDP - Energias do Brasil, has entered into a Sale and Purchase Agreement with a group of Brazilian investors coordinated by Mercurio Asset for the sale of an 80% stake in Pecém Geração de Energia and, under certain conditions, an option to sell the remaining 20% by the end of the PPA, reflecting an implied Enterprise Value of BRL 1.9 billion for 100% of the plant," the Portuguese Securities Market Commission (CMVM) announced in a statement issued early Wednesday evening.

      The energy company led by Miguel Stilwell d'Andrade points out that it will guarantee 100% of the management of the 1.25 MW renewable hydrogen project that began operations in December last year at the Pecém complex.

      "EDP will continue to evaluate the potential for developing larger-scale renewable hydrogen projects in the region," the company adds in the same note.

      The Brazilian plant, which has a capacity of 720 MW, "plays an important role in supporting the security of electricity supply to the Northeast region of Brazil, where electricity consumption and renewable energy production capacity have been growing steadily," the same note adds.

      "The plant has a regulated capacity PPA that runs until July 2027, with revenues updated for inflation and adjusted to technical availability and dispatch decided by ONS, the Brazilian electricity system operator. After an all-time high in generation recorded in 2021, as a result of the extreme drought in Brazil, the ONS has not issued any dispatches for this plant in the last 16 months, due to the recent high levels of hydroelectric reservoirs in the region. The buyers have started studies for the conversion of the plant to other fuel sources, such as natural gas and mixtures with hydrogen or biomass, through an Energy Transition Plan based on the best international decarbonization practices," reads the CMVM note.

      Regarding the goal of "being coal free by the end of 2025?, the company says that, "in relation to the last 3 coal-fired plants still in its portfolio, located in Spain, it continues to actively develop decommissioning plans for the Soto and Los Barrios plants, which require authorizations from the respective electricity system operator, as well as a conversion plan for the Aboño plant from coal to gas".

      At the end of August, EDP - Energias de Portugal announced that it had completed the acquisition of the remaining outstanding shares in EDP Brasil, taking over 100% of EDP Brasil's share capital in aggregate.

      EDP with 100% of EDP Brasil after potential acquisition


    Other Articles - International


       Home  -  Feedback  -  Contact Us  -  Safe Sender  -  About Energy Central   
    Copyright © 1996-2023 by CyberTech, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Energy Central® and Energy Central Professional® are registered trademarks of CyberTech, Incorporated. Data and information is provided for informational purposes only, and is not intended for trading purposes. CyberTech does not warrant that the information or services of Energy Central will meet any specific requirements; nor will it be error free or uninterrupted; nor shall CyberTech be liable for any indirect, incidental or consequential damages (including lost data, information or profits) sustained or incurred in connection with the use of, operation of, or inability to use Energy Central. Other terms of use may apply. Membership information is confidential and subject to our privacy agreement.