Friday, December 1 2023 Sign In   |    Register

News Quick Search



Front Page
Power News
Today's News
Yesterday's News
Week of Nov 27
Week of Nov 20
Week of Nov 13
Week of Nov 06
Week of Oct 30
By Topic
By News Partner
Gas News
News Customization


Pro Plus(+)

Add on products to your professional subscription.
  • Energy Archive News

    Home > News > Power News > News Article

    Share by Email E-mail Printer Friendly Print

    EDP sells coal-fired power plant in Brazil valued at 366 million

    September 20, 2023 - CE Noticias Financieras


      EDP has reached an agreement with "a group of Brazilian investors coordinated by Mercurio Asset for the sale of an 80% stake in Pecém Geração de Energia S.A.", the electricity company said on Wednesday in a statement to the CMVM.
      The agreement, signed by EDP Brasil - now wholly owned by EDP - reflects an enterprise value of 1.9 billion reais (around 366 million euros at the current exchange rate) for 100% of the coal-fired power plant.
      The agreement includes the sale of an 80% stake and an option to sell the remaining 20% until the end of the power purchase agreement (PPA).
      "The Pecém coal-fired power plant, located in the port of Pecém in the state of Ceará in Brazil, has a capacity of 720 MW and plays an important role in supporting the security of the electricity supply to the Northeast region of Brazil, where electricity consumption and the capacity for
      production capacity have been growing steadily. The plant has a regulated capacity PPA that runs until July 2027," said the company led by Miguel Stilwell.
      EDP will retain 100% of the management of the 1.25 MW renewable hydrogen project that began operations in December 2022 at the Pecém complex, the electricity company points out.
      "This transaction is an important milestone in achieving EDP's strategic goal of being coal free by the end of 2025. Regarding the last three coal-fired power plants still in its portfolio, located in Spain, EDP continues to actively develop decommissioning plans
      of the Soto and Los Barrios plants, which require authorizations from the respective electricity system operator, as well as a plan to convert the Aboño plant from coal to gas. At the same time, EDP is developing just transition projects at these sites, namely renewable hydrogen projects," the statement concludes.


    Other Articles - International


       Home  -  Feedback  -  Contact Us  -  Safe Sender  -  About Energy Central   
    Copyright © 1996-2023 by CyberTech, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Energy Central® and Energy Central Professional® are registered trademarks of CyberTech, Incorporated. Data and information is provided for informational purposes only, and is not intended for trading purposes. CyberTech does not warrant that the information or services of Energy Central will meet any specific requirements; nor will it be error free or uninterrupted; nor shall CyberTech be liable for any indirect, incidental or consequential damages (including lost data, information or profits) sustained or incurred in connection with the use of, operation of, or inability to use Energy Central. Other terms of use may apply. Membership information is confidential and subject to our privacy agreement.