Consumers will have to be vigilant this Monday, May 22. There will be times when doing the washing machine, ironing or using the oven will be more advisable. Knowing which hours are the cheapest will allow you to concentrate your spending and save on your bill at the end of the month. The average reference for the whole day in the wholesale market will be 88.85 euros per megawatt hour (MWh), according to the operator OMIE. Once again, hour by hour there will be large differences.
The wholesale market figures are reflected in the consumer's bill. The most expensive hour will be between 21:00 and 22:00, when the price on the bill will rise to 0.20796 euros per kilowatt hour (kWh), based on data from Red Eléctrica. The cheapest hour, on the opposite side, will be recorded between 01:00 and 02:00, when the kilowatt hour will be paid at 0.12230 euros per kilowatt hour.
This is the hourly cost of electricity for this Monday in the regulated tariff (PVPC, toll 2.0 TD), according to Red Eléctrica. These figures already include the cost of the daily and intraday wholesale market, adjustment services, financing, variable commercialization cost, tolls and charges. It may also include other items such as capacity payments, surpluses or deficits from renewable auctions and costs for interruptibility services.
How to save on your electricity bill at home
To reduce consumption and lower your electricity bill, you can follow these tips:
- Disconnect household appliances, especially the refrigerator-freezer, which consumes up to 30% of the total consumption of the house when we are away for a holiday period; avoid leaving them on 'stand by'.
- Use the dryer as little as possible. If not, try to take advantage of the hours of sunshine for drying clothes.
- Use hot water in general with a water temperature between 30ºC and 35ºC.
- Use washing programs in the washing machine with cold water.
- Use LED bulbs, which are ten times less powerful than incandescent bulbs and have ten times longer life, saving up to 85% of energy.
- Take advantage of natural light in the home as much as possible.
Participate in renewable energy projects through energy communities that offer participation to citizens.